Tuesday, October 20, 2009

ACEOs


Boxes Made of Shells
2.5 x 3.5
ACEO
Mixed Media

I have finally joined the club and posted some ACEOs at my etsy shop!

I know these are totally different than my paintings, but I am enjoying them for the moment and don't want to limit myself creatively. I figure if I enjoy something and I am still creating it can only help my painting. When I first started making these little collages (years ago) I wanted to keep them really simple. I still like the simplicity and the negative space (I'm a big fan of white) but I think in my next set I will be adding more paint and color. We will see what happens.

You may be wondering what inspired these little guys. I was into art journals at the time and I spent some time creating little collages in my journal every day. I have always loved collecting paper, little notes, card or ephemera and I love scrapbooks! I also love reading and writing. I actually started out as an english/journalism double major in college and I have so much respect for the art of putting words together. When I find a line in a book that I love, I almost can't get it out of my head until I do something with it. I like to use them for painting titles or just doodle them in a sketch or in my journal. With these collages I feel like I am able to combine my love of painting and writing and collecting. It feels a little more like a hobby, but I love it. So, take a look at my etsy store if you would like to see more!

No comments: