Monday, September 21, 2009

Buy Handmade!!


Fisherman's Boat
5 x 7
oil on panel

Sold

As we all know, but don't really want to talk about it yet, the holidays are just around the corner! Christmas is a popular time for people to order paintings and I have a couple commissions lined up already. I usually request 4-6 weeks notice for a commissioned piece and for the holidays it nice to have around 8 weeks. We are only 13 weeks away... yikes!

I know the economy has hit everyone and extras like art are often the first things to be cut from the budget. I also know that art can be expensive, sometimes ridiculously expensive. I just wanted to encourage you this holiday season to fight the urge to shop at big box stores (I do it too... I'm not pointing fingers) and consider making more gifts, buying from local stores or buying handmade items from etsy shops or ebay! There is so much affordable art out there! Sometimes you might even find a beautiful original painting or drawing that is cheaper than a print from a big box store! There are amazing deals to be had out there right now and many artists trying to sell their work.

As an artist, it can be fun to talk about art and do the art, but when it comes to pricing and talking about money it's no longer as much fun! If only we could all just paint for free and do it just for the love of it! In this economy, artists are trying to find ways to make their art more affordable, like doing smaller paintings or offering free shipping. For example, the little boat painting above recently sold for $25! This fall I will be adding many more in this price range to my etsy shop so be sure to check it out!

No comments: